Thursday, February 11, 2010

mcqueen


Tragedy.
Nostalgic.
Lost.

Grey.
Sorrow.
Sympathy.

Pessismistic.
Alienesque.
Memories.


Alexander McQueen was the first major designer that I paid attention to, back in the days, in 2004/2005, when I was still in secondary school, he was the name other than Yves Saint Lauren, Gucci, Louis Vuitton, and Christian Dior that I knew. Naive as I was, I did not know any of the designers that I now adore and worship, such as Kawakubo, Yamamoto, Hackermann, Demeulemeester or Margiela. Anyways, he always stood out in my mind because of his name, "ALEXANDER MCQUEEN," it is such a beautiful name, it just sounds so elegant yet powerful, like a lion. His shows were always the ones I would check out, study every piece, every look, and have them memorized. 


This look right there, was the look that got me hooked to his designs. Simple, elegant, timeless, yet with an edge. In this FW06 collection, the headpieces were so vintagey, and mesmerizing. From that moment on, Alexander McQueen always stood out. This past fashion week, SS10, he wowed the world with the armadillo heels and the alienesque make up and clothes that immediately grabbed me onboard as I have a super soft spot for aliens in my heart. I was in awe, in utter surprise at what he sent down the runway. It is one of those shows that people would remember after 50 years, like the legendary Valentino show that had Linda, Naomi, Christy and Cindy walking down togeher. 

This morning, I woke up to this tragic news. I would just like to remember the fabulous designer in this kind of way. In a way, he was the designer who got me extremely interested in fashion design in the first place. I will forever treasure my pair of McQueen jeans.

Rest in peace.

1 comment: